Time
3 years ago I would not have thought that it would not take me too long to settle down into a life without the presence of my Dad. It was unimaginable. His death shook me up extremely, but I can't, for the life of me, think that all is lost, or that I'm rendered rudderless by the death of my father. I think of him a lot,but not with sadness, or twinge of despair - but very matter-of-factly; Dad liked this dish, he joked like this and so forth. It is more fond remembrances, remembering what he said, his opinions, what little I learnt from him (so valuable now). But I don't sense the urge of think of what would be my life now if he was here, would I have made the same decisions? I dont feel like conjecturing.
It is as if "I" have completed accepted his death, that he is no longer here. I only wonder if this is this right? Is this my way of dealing with the painless(was it?) and terrible manner of death? Am I progressing in my grief and adjustment or just living in denial? I feel it is more of the former.
But I know I just can not abide the sight of an ambulance. It feels so nightmar-ish when I see the ambulance speeding away with some victim in it, helpless subject to the mercilessness of fate. I wonder, only if my dad had been administered the right aid at the right time. I'm choking up right now - what if? what if someone had helped him in a manner to give him a few more mins of precious life. This is painful and I'm going to stop.

2 Comments:
I'm sorry you lost your dad. I lost mine, too--he died when I was 24 (he was 47). Grief is a strange thing and can surprise you when you least expect it. Anyway, my heart goes out to you.
Thank you Mel. I'd read about your Dad on your blog. That made me feel like I'm not alone in my silent(?) grief. I'm very touched by your response.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home