Fighting a losing battle; with weight, with laziness and a few escaping grey hairs.
Thursday, March 27, 2008
Holi spl F/Eotd
We had Holi celebrations at work on Friday, so this is what I wore: The saree's from Chickpet and part of my wedding trousseau. The eyes mimicked the colours of the saree!
i wore my sarees to work too a couple of times (back when i worked full time at a company while in grad school still. death i tell you). the only thing is my mother is the one who always buys my sarees for me so the sari blouses are VERY conservative and old fashioned. not that i'm not grateful but i got the following comment: 1. 'o wow i didn't know you had kids.' ERM HELLO NO I DONT. 2. 'wow, you look great for you age' I have relegated this memory to the back of my brain somewhere. 3. 'i didnt know you middle eastern women wore such clothes dont you have to be covered head to toe' which was often followed by 'hey speaking of middle eastern stuff, what's your tabouleh recipe.' I cannot tell you how many times I have tried to explain that india is NOT in the middle east because of geography alone. I just had to rant about that. sorry i'm leaving a HUGE comment for you.
Awww..I'm so pleased you dropped by, I thought I had ghost readers, with no keyboards :P Yeah the blouse totally seals the deal, so many of my Mom's saree's are so retro fab, but due to blouse scarcities they are all lying unused. I LLOOOOVe wearing sarees though, for my wedding trousseau I had a blast shopping for these. And the mid-east comments? Goodness gracious! Don't people know there is a whole country (the biggest democracy) that is NOT arab? Talk about selective vision. I hate it when people assume you must be a) married b) mother when you wear sarees? How does that 5 metre cloth have anything to do with my marital status? Conversely just because I'm married I should always wear saree? Sheesh..okay rant over.
i love reading blogs but i always get so self conscious when i write comments. it's the same thing with answering machines. i HATE leaving voice mails...
see i dont mind retro fab but imagine my mum here for a minute. she used to cover my eyes when people kissed on screen when i was 16... now imagine what the sari blouses look like. ok i know im being a smart alec but i REALLY ave no fashionable saree blouses. my sarees are fab though ;).
you wont BELIEVE the middle east comments people tell desis here. when people find out i'm indian (this doesn't take too long as i'm a stereotypical desi) the first thing they usually say is 'you're indian. omg i LOVE middle eastern food' and sometimes they add 'but i dont like baklava.' 2 tings wrong with this... i have actually had arguments with people when i tried to explain to them that india wasn't in the middle east. not that i have anything against the middle east but it's a case of simple geography. and the second thing that was wrong is that baklava is AWESOME. argh, see finally when i write comments i write too long lol.
Anu, your mom cracks me up! Hehe, my mom always enters the room when the word "sex" appears on the program I'm watching (be it even Animal Planet) or when the protagonists are kissing. So you see, she always says (every single time I watch any english serial), "these english serials, always so much western customs" etc etc words to that effect! I love yr comments, mail me at mesuneet@gmail.com, we can chat to high heavens!
Thanks Ranjani, maybe I'm your sister's secret doppelganger hehe. But here in Karnataka they say every man comes with 7 duplicates, so currently your sister stand at duplicate #4. I'm looking for the other 3 now..
8 Comments:
LOVE the sari. i'm such a huge sari person it's not even funny lol. your eye makeup looks great
Oh thanks Anu! I'm known as the Saree lady at work, I wear it atleast once a week. Nothing hides the tummy fat better than sarees :)
i wore my sarees to work too a couple of times (back when i worked full time at a company while in grad school still. death i tell you). the only thing is my mother is the one who always buys my sarees for me so the sari blouses are VERY conservative and old fashioned. not that i'm not grateful but i got the following comment:
1. 'o wow i didn't know you had kids.' ERM HELLO NO I DONT.
2. 'wow, you look great for you age' I have relegated this memory to the back of my brain somewhere.
3. 'i didnt know you middle eastern women wore such clothes dont you have to be covered head to toe' which was often followed by 'hey speaking of middle eastern stuff, what's your tabouleh recipe.' I cannot tell you how many times I have tried to explain that india is NOT in the middle east because of geography alone. I just had to rant about that. sorry i'm leaving a HUGE comment for you.
Awww..I'm so pleased you dropped by, I thought I had ghost readers, with no keyboards :P
Yeah the blouse totally seals the deal, so many of my Mom's saree's are so retro fab, but due to blouse scarcities they are all lying unused. I LLOOOOVe wearing sarees though, for my wedding trousseau I had a blast shopping for these.
And the mid-east comments? Goodness gracious! Don't people know there is a whole country (the biggest democracy) that is NOT arab? Talk about selective vision.
I hate it when people assume you must be a) married b) mother when you wear sarees? How does that 5 metre cloth have anything to do with my marital status? Conversely just because I'm married I should always wear saree? Sheesh..okay rant over.
i love reading blogs but i always get so self conscious when i write comments. it's the same thing with answering machines. i HATE leaving voice mails...
see i dont mind retro fab but imagine my mum here for a minute. she used to cover my eyes when people kissed on screen when i was 16... now imagine what the sari blouses look like. ok i know im being a smart alec but i REALLY ave no fashionable saree blouses. my sarees are fab though ;).
you wont BELIEVE the middle east comments people tell desis here. when people find out i'm indian (this doesn't take too long as i'm a stereotypical desi) the first thing they usually say is 'you're indian. omg i LOVE middle eastern food' and sometimes they add 'but i dont like baklava.' 2 tings wrong with this... i have actually had arguments with people when i tried to explain to them that india wasn't in the middle east. not that i have anything against the middle east but it's a case of simple geography. and the second thing that was wrong is that baklava is AWESOME. argh, see finally when i write comments i write too long lol.
Love the colors on the sari, it's very pretty, goes well with the eyeshadow.
It's uncanny that you look EXACTLY like my sister:)
Ranjani
Anu, your mom cracks me up! Hehe, my mom always enters the room when the word "sex" appears on the program I'm watching (be it even Animal Planet) or when the protagonists are kissing. So you see, she always says (every single time I watch any english serial), "these english serials, always so much western customs" etc etc words to that effect! I love yr comments, mail me at mesuneet@gmail.com, we can chat to high heavens!
Thanks Ranjani, maybe I'm your sister's secret doppelganger hehe. But here in Karnataka they say every man comes with 7 duplicates, so currently your sister stand at duplicate #4. I'm looking for the other 3 now..
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home