How to make a tray out of a magazine
Here's my humble attempt at making a tray out of a magazine front cover! I'll load all the pics and detailed tutorial tomorrow, so watch this space. Well, not all the time, you can look away sometimes. But, you have to come back, okies?
From this:

To this:

So, here goes: click on the link below to read the step-by-step instructions with colour pictures! Heh.
1. All you need is a thick sheet, similar to the thickness of a greeting card, a pencil or pen, a ruler (or any straight edged stick or a pencil), white adhesive, and finally a pair of scissors.
2. I used the front page cover of the Marie Claire magazine (it’s thick, glossy and pretty!) or any sheet within the magazine, preferably glossy.

3. The rectangular page needs to be cut into a square, the easiest way to do that is to gently fold the shorter edge along the longer edge diagonally and then cut away the remaining strip at the edge of the paper!
Or you could bring out the foreman ruler and measure a perfect square, if that’s what makes you happier. We lost a bit of Aishwarya’s chin here – instant face lift! 
4. Lightly fold (to crease) the resultant square into half length wise (or width wise, it won’t make a difference, it is a square, heh)

5. Crease the other half now, so that you have 4 neat squares just lightly creased. Neater and more patient people can just divide the sheet into 16 equal squares and escape the crease-fest.
You are left with 4 squares and, in my case, Aish’s eyes glaring at you for creasing her face. 
6. Crease the left half in half again, and do the same with the right half.

7. Crease the top half and the bottom half in half again, resulting in 16 creased squares! You don’t have to count, I did it for you

8. Mark the intersecting points (like in the picture). Imagine having to poke out Aishwarya’s eye and hoping for some emotion to reflect on her face.

9. Draw 4 lines from the edge of the paper until the intersecting points (using the ruler or straight edged object). These are the lines you will cut using the scissors.

10. Now fold the paper such that the cut squares look something akin to ear flaps.

11. Apply the adhesive on the longer rectangular flap, such that the outer edge of the flap will stick to the ear-flap thingies.

12. Press the flaps together and make sure all the glue covers the surface.
This is what it looks like now 
13. Patience now, one side is ready,
do the same to the other side so it does not feel neglected. (I actually glued the flaps on the outer edge of the larger flap, thus resulting in 2 different looking edges, but please, just ignore that)

14. Press the glued surfaces nicely so the adhesive can do its job.

15. Voila! Your colourful odds-and-ends box is ready to be used!
Back view – Carla Bruni’s face! 
16. I used the box to store the hub’s watches, my bracelets and scrunchies, however it can be used it for anything you like!

17. Items used:

18.

Next up: Lipstick and Floppy disks (remember those 3 and quarter inches disks we used on the PC) Yes, I am that old. Ahem, floppy disks and lipsticks, what do they have to do with each other?!
Labels: how to


4 Comments:
hey... jeet :)
Thanks, i say u got pretty sharp eyes... I'll ave to ide real deep, wont i? then again with a surname like mukho my bong origins are not hard to guess, no?
booty box/bangle box/scruncy box/bindi box - u name it, i love it! :)
also about tat altar... its so beautiful, i wanna bow before it too :) wish I had one... my imitation godrej cupboard mirror will have to do for now :P
scruncHHHy! scruncHHHy! dadblast my dadblasted lappy keyboard! always misses the "h"
I din't even notice the scruncy spelling LOL! I always mix up the "p" and the "o"" (while typing this only I made the mistake again!). So usually it is "hpw are you dpoing?" LOL
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home